Linundus Kinabalu Headline Animator

NOTIFICATION FOR THOSE PARTICIPATING THE POLL SURVEY

(Note: Protect and Preserve your 'Kadazan' and 'Dusun' identities. Read the articles published HEREand HERE and participate in the survey Poll located at the top right-hand column of this page.)

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Vatican Warns of Mormon 'Baptism of the Dead'

WASHINGTON (CNS) - In an effort to block posthumous rebaptisms by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Catholic dioceses throughout the world have been directed by the Vatican not to give information in parish registers to the Mormons' Genealogical Society of Utah.

Posthumous baptisms by proxy have been a common practice for the Latter-day Saints -- commonly known as Mormons -- for more than a century, allowing the church's faithful to have their ancestors baptized into their faith so they may be united in the afterlife, said Mike Otterson, a spokesman in the church's Salt Lake City headquarters.

The two faiths (Mormons and Catholics) share intrinsic viewpoints on key issues the United States is facing, particularly the pro-life position on abortion and an opposition to same-sex marriage.
However, theological differences have cropped up between Mormons and Catholics in the past.

In 2001 the Vatican's doctrinal congregation issued a ruling that baptism conferred by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints cannot be considered a valid Christian baptism, thus requiring converts from that religion to Catholicism to receive a Catholic baptism.

READ MORE HERE

2 comments:

  1. As far as I am concerned, I am a "converted-Catholic" and will always be a Roman Catholic for all eternity. I don't care if any of my relations convert to Mormon or ANY other faiths other than my own. I don't want any rebaptism of any way, shape or form (proxy or otherwise).

    I met a Kadazan girl who joined me while I was having coffee in a coffee shop at Donggongon. While having our coffee with another Indian friend, I eventually came to know her that she was somehow related to me after introducing herself. She told me that she was following the Mormon faith (having been baptised in that faith) but she would still remain as a Catholic. This is mind boggling to me how to follow two faiths at the same time.

    From my conversation with her, she and her friends were enticed by the Mormon evangelizers to join the faith by giving them tuition and or seminar under the guise of guiding them in their business undertakings.

    She told me that she still goes to Catholic Church anyway. This has prompted me to tell her that she cannot “serve two masters” simultaneously. After I had convinced her that it was wrong to embrace two faiths at the same time, she eventually told me that she would renounce her Mormon faith once the tuition and the seminar were finished. Nonetheless, I encouraged her to see a priest for further counselling.

    The Mormon Church, for that matter any other church or religious denomination, really needs to stay out of other church's business and keep their own beliefs to themselves and stop trying to convert everyone else under the guise of providing whatever benefits they can provide to unsuspecting victims of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The term "posthumously baptized into the Mormon church" and other terms like it "...Mormons steal Barack Obama's Mother's soul" are in and of themselves false. I don't feel like this should even need to be cleared up, but I will anyways.

    The ordinance of baptism for the dead by proxy only extends the choice of baptism in the LDS church into death. Anyone (living) who has heard of Mormonism is in that state (having the ability to be baptized into the LDS church) right now. Why not extend the option? If the KKK was to perform a ritual that they said would extend the choice of membership to my dead mother, great! I don't care! My mother could have joined the KKK while she was alive, but didn't and wouldn't now... and, that's only if the KKK's ritual has some sort of universal bearing, which it doesn't. The point is that the church doesn't insinuate in any way the removal of agency in choice of belief or disrespect of past choices through the ordinance, which is why you can't say that somebody is posthumously baptized into the church. You can't posthumously baptize anybody into any church... that person has to take that step themselves.

    ReplyDelete